Sunday, June 7, 2009

I Learned Something at the Arctic Circle

We took our kids to the Arctic Circle for lunch on Saturday.Not that arctic circle. The one that sells greasy french fries.

This particular Arctic Circle had a big play area, so my kids went to run around there after they finished eating. (Actually they went before they finished eating, but I wasn't about to say, "You kids have to stay here and eat the rest of those greasy french fries before you can go get any exercise.")

Anyway, my son TJ organized a game of freeze tag (appropriate for the arctic circle, I suppose) with his siblings and about a dozen other kids. It was getting a little intense, so I decided to go "supervise." At some point, I can't remember how, it was determined that I would be "safe," which means that anyone who is touching me cannot be tagged by the person who is "it."

As I stood there fulfilling my responsibilities as "safe," it occurred to me that the game was a good metaphor for how I'd like my kids to see me as a father. They spent a lot of time clinging to my legs, but of course they couldn't stay there--then what would be the point of the game? Sooner or later they had to let go and venture into the world where "it" lurks. But anytime "it" got too close, they scurried back to me as fast as they could, grasped my legs again, and breathed a delighted sigh of relief while they geared up for another venture away from "safe." And it was important to the kids that I stay in one place throughout the game, so that they always knew where "safe" was.

I hope my children consider me (and our home) a safe place throughout their adolescence, or even throughout their lives. I know they can't just cling to me forever--that would defeat the purpose of life--but I hope that when the world gets a little too close, they'll know where I am, and they'll be able to run to me and feel safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment